Thursday, November 19, 2009

An Interview with Stephen Hall, Alliance Dallas


2009NoGiPanamAbsFinal.jpg


Name:

Stephen “Pesadelo” Hall


Age:

38


Place of Birth:

Donaldsonville, Louisiana (Geaux Saints!)


Belt:

Faixa Preta


What was your first academy, and what was the atmosphere like?

It was under Allen Mohler at Mohler Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. It was really inviting and comfortable, but tough. I felt welcome the moment I walked in. Even though I really didn’t know what I was getting into, it just felt right, and I signed up on the spot without even trying a class.


Who was your first jiu-jitsu teacher?

Allen Mohler was my first Jiu-Jitsu teacher. I also owe a lot of my success to Marcus Hicks who is a Black Belt under Professor Mohler, as he helped develop my effectiveness in technique and mental toughness.


What can you tell us about your personal history?

Louisiana born and bred. I have a long standing work history in the Network Engineering field. I have lived here in Dallas, TX since 2000. I am now the owner/head instructor of Pesadelo Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu ( http://www.pbjj.net )


What is your academic history?

I started out at Louisiana State University, and ultimately graduated from Southern University in Physics.


What is your jiu-jitsu/martial arts history?

My jiu-jitsu studies encompass the last several years. Before BJJ, I studied Tae Kwon Do from age 7 to age 27 attaining the rank of 2nd degree Black Belt.


What is your family like?

I have a very loving and caring family. My daughter is my entire world.


Where you an athlete before you got into Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

I played basketball in college as well as ran track. I was a high jumper. In HS I was national champion in my SR. year with a jump of 7’ 2”. I had an all time best jump of 7’ 5 ¾”. I still play semi-professional basketball in leagues here in TX when time allows.


What is your competition history?

I have tried to stay active as much as possible, averaging about 18 tournaments per year. I make certain to dispute as many of the “major” tournaments as I possibly can.


What is your proudest Jiu-Jitsu accomplishment?

It would have to be a tie between winning the championship at the International Masters/Seniors Worlds as a Black Belt, and actually getting my Black Belt. Both were realizations of dreams I have had for quite some time!


What are some of your tournament wins?

- 2009 INTERNATIONAL MASTERS & SENIORS WORLD CHAMIONSHIPS - NO-GI

WORLD CHAMPION

SENIOR 1 - BLACK BELT - ULTRA-HEAVYWEIGHT

-2009 Miami International Open

Silver - Black Belt - Adult - Pessadissimo

-2009 NO-GI PAN AMERICAN BJJ CHAMPIONSHIPS-NYC

CHAMPION - BLACK- Sr. 1 - ABSOLUTE

CHAMPION - BLACK- Sr. 1 – SUPER HEAVYWEIGHT

- 2009 INTERNATIONAL MASTERS & SENIORS WORLD CHAMIONSHIPS - GI

WORLD CHAMPION

SENIOR 1 - BLACK BELT - SUPER-HEAVYWEIGHT

- 2009 RIO OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS - GI

BRONZE - ADULT - BLACK BELT - SUPER-HEAVYWEIGHT

- PROMOTED TO BLACK BELT! - Friday, 12 JUNE 2009

-2009 (MUNDIALS) WORLD BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU CHAMPIONSHIPS

Bronze - Brown - ADULT! - Super Heavyweight

-2009 BRAZILIAN NATIONAL JIU-JITSU CHAMPIONSHIPS

Silver - Brown - ADULT! - Super Heavyweight

-2009 PAN AMERICAN BJJ CHAMPIONSHIPS

Champion – Brown – Sr. 1 – Absolute

Champion – Brown – Sr. 1 – Super Heavyweight

-2009 EUROPEAN BJJ CHAMPIONSHIPS

Champion – Brown – Sr. 1 – Absolute

Champion – Brown – Sr. 1 – Super Heavyweight

-2008 Copa Alliance
Champion - Brown Belt - Pessadissimo

-2008 U.S. OPEN BJJ CHAMPIONSHIPS XIII
Champion - Brown Belt - Masters/Seniors - Absolute
Bronze - Brown Belt - Masters - SuperHeavyweight

-2008 NO-GI PAN AMERICAN BJJ CHAMPIONSHIPS-NYC

Champion - Brown - Sr. 1 - Absolute

Champion - Brown - Sr. 1 – Super Heavyweight

-2008 AMERICAN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
Champion - Brown - Sr. 1 - Absolute
Champion - Brown - Sr. 1 – Super Heavyweight

-2008 AMERICAN NATIONAL NO-GI CHAMPIONSHIPS
Silver Medal - Brown - Sr. 1 - Absolute
Champion - Brown - Sr. 1 – Super Heavyweight

- 2008 Europa World Grappling Championships

Silver Medal

Men's - Black & Brown Belt - Super Heavyweight

- 2008 WORLD CHAMIONSHIPS - NO-GI

WORLD CHAMPION

ADULT - BROWN BELT - SUPER-HEAVYWEIGHT


- 2008 INTERNATIONAL MASTERS & SENIORS WORLD CHAMIONSHIPS - NO-GI

WORLD CHAMPION

SENIOR 1 - BROWN BELT - SUPER-HEAVYWEIGHT

- 2008 INTERNATIONAL MASTERS & SENIORS WORLD CHAMIONSHIPS - GI

WORLD CHAMPION

SENIOR 1 - BROWN BELT - SUPER-HEAVYWEIGHT

- 2008 RIO OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS - GI

SILVER - ADULT - BROWN BELT - SUPER-HEAVYWEIGHT

- 2008 WORLD BJJ CHAMPIONSHIPS (MUNDIALS) - GI

Competitor - Brown Belt Super-Heavyweight (1-1)

Member of World Champion Alliance Team

- 2008 NAGA/Dollamur Grappling Championships

Silver - Black/Brown - Adult - Super Heavyweight

-PROMOTED TO BROWN BELT - 11 April 2008

-2008 PAN AMERICAN BJJ CHAMPIONSHIPS

Champion - Purple - Sr. 1 - Super Heavyweight

Bronze - Purple - Sr. 1 – Absolute

-2008 Louisiana State Championships

Champion - Purple - GI - Super Heavyweight

-2008 Machado Winter Wars

Champion – Purple - GI - Super Heavyweight

-2008 EUROPEAN BJJ CHAMPIONSHIPS

Champion – Purple – Sr. 1 – Absolute

Champion – Purple – Sr. 1 – Super Heavyweight

-2007 - 1st WORLD NO-GI BJJ CHAMPIONSHIPS
Bronze - Purple - Sr. 1 - Absolute
Silver - Purple - Sr. 1 – Heavyweight

-2007 GrapplersQuest West XII
Silver - Advanced - No-Gi - Masters - Absolute
Bronze - Advanced - No-Gi - Masters – Cruiserweight

-2007 - 1st Louisiana Open
Silver - Purple - GI - Absolute
Champion - Purple - GI - Heavyweight
Silver - Advanced - No-Gi – Heavyweight

-2007 U.S. OPEN XII BJJ CHAMPIONSHIPS
Silver - Purple - Master/Sr. - Absolute
Silver - Purple - Master – Heavyweight

-2007 Machado BJJ Invitational
Champion - Purple - Adult – Heavyweight

-2007 Battle Of H-Town
Champion - Advanced(Brown/Purple Combined) Gi - Adult – Heavyweight

-2007 AMERICAN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
Champion - Purple - Sr. 1 - Absolute
Champion - Purple - Sr. 1 – Heavyweight

-2007 Texas No-Gi Championships
Champion - Advanced - Masters - Heavyweight
Bronze - Advanced - Adult – Heavyweight

-2007 U.S. NO-GI CHALLENGE
Silver - Advanced - Adult – Middleweight

-2007 WORLD BJJ CHAMPIONSHIPS (MUNDIALS) - GI
Made it to round of 8 in Purple Belt Open Division out of 16 page bracket

-Got Picked up by the greatest equipment sponsor out there - GOMGI...visit em at http://www.gomgi.com for any BJJ/MMA/Training gear needs!

-2007 PAN AMERICAN BJJ CHAMPIONSHIPS

Bronze - Blue - Sr. 1 – Absolute

What is your training regime like, in preparation for worlds?

Seven days of BJJ training. 2 of those days are devoted to drilling positions, 2 days devoted to situational and timed training, with the remaining days devoted to sparring while concentrating on my game plan. Also there are other training sessions with cardio, strength work, and yoga.


What is your training regime like when there is not a major tournament on the horizon?

It is scaled back to 5 days of training just as in a regular setting with the training time devoted to 1/3 drills, 1/3 technique and positions, and 1/3 rolling.


What are your overall goals in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?
To teach and develop champions, to develop a fully well-rounded game, to place at the Mundials at black belt, to give the gift that jiu-jitsu has been in my life to others, and to make my instructors, and their instructors proud of what I have become both as a BJJ player, and as a man.


What are your favorite techniques?

Do Pesadelo Triangulo! That is what I am known for. I also really enjoy knee-bars, and wheel throws.


Who do you look up to in Jiu-Jitsu?

Marcus Hicks, Fabio Gurgel, Jacare’, Allen Mohler, Saulo Ribeiro, Xande Ribeiro, Batista, too many of my Alliance teammates to name among others. All of these have taken time to make me feel like family, as well as given me lessons not only to broaden my jiu-jitsu, but to improve my life.


What are you tips for people who are new to Jiu-Jitsu?

Keep walking through the door. If you do, you will get to where you are going. Jiu-Jitsu really does reward the patient and perseverant person.


Is there anything else you would like to add?

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu saved my life. I hope to make those who have put so much into my development, proud of who I have become. I am honored, blessed, and humbled to have had you wish to interview me. Thank you and God Bless!



tn_HPIM1684.jpg

PretaWeb.jpg

tn_IMG_1173.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment