Monday, January 24, 2011

Kid Peligro Jiu-Jitsu News . . . Rubens Charles "Cobrinha" Interview

http://www.adcombat.com/news/2011-01-23/kid-peligro-jiu-jitsu-news-ruben-charles-cobrinha-interview

Cobrinha
Rubens Charles Maciel "Cobrinha" 2009 Worlds all Photos (c) Kid Peligro

Many years ago during one of his visits then World Champion and Co-leader of "TT" academy Fernando "Terere" told me: "Kid, I have a new student that is going to be the next big thing! He is going to be a World Champion, his name is "Cobrinha". I was later that year introduced to "Cobrinha" in Rio during the Worlds. Well "Terere's" prediction turned out to be true, 4 times true as "Cobrinha" dominated the division and won the World title that many times along with several Pan and other titles.

"Cobrinha" had great fortune to train and learn from "Terere", then Fabio Gurgel and Alliance leader Romero "Jacare" Cavalcanti. After spending 3 years int eh main Alliance Academy in Atlanta, "Cobrinha" is seeking new heights as he moved to L.A., California to open hi own academy. We caught up with Rubens Charles shortly after his arrival in LA..

KP- You were in Georgia with Romero "Jacare" Cavalcanti for the last 3 years, what motivated you to move to California?

RC - As you stated, I was in Atlanta, Georgia with Romero Jacare for 3 years. I am very grateful to him for all he taught me in that time with him. In these 3 years i not only learned a lot of Jiu-Jitsu but also learned a lot about business. What motivated me to move was my lifetime desire to some day have my own academy. When the time was right I talked to "Jacare" and he was the first person to give me the encouragement to move forward and open my own place. He also knew that my academy in California would only strengthen the team even more.
KP- What do you believe was the best thing you learn from Jacare over these years?
RC- I learned so much in the time I shared and lived around him, as I said he not only taught me Jiu-Jitsu but he also shared a lot of his life's experiences with me and taught me how to deal with a lot of different aspects of life. Additionally he has a great teaching methodology so that the students can always be happy at the Academy.
KP- You couldn't have had better string of teachers, "Jacare" was the last one but before him Fabio Gurgel was your teacher after Fernando "Terere"
RC- I can tell you that I am a very lucky person, my first instructor was Mauro Pacifico in Sao Carlos, SP. I was with him until Brown belt. Then after competing in a tournament in Sao Paulo I received an invitation from "Terere" to stop by "TT" Academy which was in the Capitol Sao Paulo. I spoke with my master Mauro Pacifico and asked him his opinion. He was the first to encourage me to go there and to this day I remember his words: "You should go, if for some reason it doesn't work out we will be here to take you back with open arms". With that vote I went to train in Sao Paulo with Terere. "Terere" was a person that refined my game and my techniques but as you know there is always some room for improvement and to learn in any one's game we should never believe that our game is complete and we don't have to learn any more. 
After "Terere" I had the pleasure to learn from Fabio Gurgel. He was a person that every day, in practice he surprised me with his abilities, knowledge and above all his humility and open mindedness to learn new things. It is for those reasons that he is constantly evolving. With Fabio I learned that to be a good fighter you need more than just to have good attacks, he showed me that you need to have a good defense as well. Then after that I had the honor to train with Master "Jacare" the "master of the Wizards" (laughs). I learned so much from him and his life's experiences. It is rare to have a person with as many qualities and attributes as he does.


KP- And now you are in L.A., Southern California!
RC- I've been here a couple of weeks now. The Academy is located at 4929 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, 90036. My plan is to be ready for opening in early February and to have my first "Camp" in March. As soon as I have firm dates I will announce it in your column at http://www.adcombat.com and my facebook page. I want everyone to be on the lookout for the opportunity to come by and visit me and have a cup of coffee and chat and train.
KP- With all that is going on are you planning on competing int he Worlds this year?
RC- It is very unlikely that I will be able to compete in the Worlds this year, I have to take care and dedicate myself to my new Academy at the moment, but I am not ready to hang up my Gi just yet so you can expect "Cobrinha" to be compete in another Worlds or maybe even two (laughs) .
KP- And what about ADCC?
RC- ADCC is a different story, and I am planning to compete in it. You can count of having a "Cobrinha" well prepared and ready to fight for the ADCC title.
KP- And how do people contact you to come to the academy and for seminars?
RC- They can go to my website at http://www.rubenscharles.com/ or to my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/Cobrinhacharles or email me at cobrinhacharles@hotmail.com

Cobrinha banner: Cobrinha banner
KP- Anything else you want to add?
RC- I want to take this opportunity to thank Keiko Raça for always believing and supporting me. I want to thank you Kid and http://www.adcombat.com for this opportunity and the interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment