Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Tribute Ben Southerland

A Tribute to my friend, Ben Southerland


By Romero “Jacare” Cavalcanti


Last Friday Ben Southerland passed away in his Duluth home. He tragically died of a heart attack while mowing his lawn. Ben was a truly superb friend and a dedicated family man.


I first met Ben years ago at my school on Roswell Road here in Sandy Springs, Ga. He came to me with his son Andrew, the young man wanted to begin training immediately. After Andrew started training Ben and I became good friends. Ben was an enthusiastic man that always had a smile on his face. He had a lust for life. Soon thereafter Laura, Ben’s daughter, came to train with us. Laura became one of my first American female Blue Belts. Ben was a very dedicated father, constantly driving his kids from Duluth to here; and even taking them to other parts of the United States for competitions. Ben also helped the school with graphic design and to build our website. Furthermore, he and his wife Melissa took all of the pictures for my instructional book. Ben and I took many trips together to Columbus, Ohio; Los Angeles, California; and throughout the South Eastern United States; traveling in support of the Alliance Team.


I will personally remember him as one of the best human beings I have ever met. He will be forever in my heart, and the hearts of all those that had the privilege to have met him. Rest in peace Ben; you will never be forgotten.


Respectfully,

Romero Jacare Cavalcanti

3 comments:

  1. Ben profoundly effected my life with his humor, wisdom and love for his family. He embodied all the qualities of a great dad. I only wish we had more time together. Thanks for sharing Jacare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben was a great man with a huge commitment to his family and friends. Either from the class or at a tournament across the country, Ben was always there in support of his kids and our team.

    He will be missed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben was a great man with a huge commitment to his family and friends. Either from the class or at a tournament across the country, Ben was always there in support of his kids and our team.

    He will be missed

    ReplyDelete