Friday, November 6, 2009

An Interview











I did an interview with one of our frequently competing students, Jordan Schultz, as he gets ready for the No-Gi Worlds:

Name:

Jordon W Schultz


Age:

24


Place of Birth:

Buffalo, NY


Belt:

Purple Belt


What was your first academy, and what was the atmosphere like?

My first academy was a school in Jamestown N.Y. that was affiliated with Carson Gracie. The atmosphere was productive and encouraged individual growth.


Who was your first jiu-jitsu teacher?

My first teacher was a De La Riva black belt named Charles Anzalone.


What can you tell us about your personal history?

There’s really not much to share about my personal life. I’ve always been completely consumed by either jiu jitsu, school, work or a combination of the aforementioned. I believe there is no reason to do anything in life unless you strive to be the best it. Because of my passion for jiu jitsu I recently moved to the Alliance headquarters with the sole intent of training with the Alliance team.


What is your academic history?

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology from Rochester Institute of Technology. I completed the academic requirements in 2008; finishing with a perfect 4.0/4.0 grade point average.


What is your jiu-jitsu/martial arts history?

I started jiu jitsu in 2005, but prior to that I had only studied karate for a few years as a young child.


What is your family like?

I have two sisters and parents that are supportive of my endeavors in jiu jitsu.


Where you an athlete before you got into Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

No. And, that’s one of the many reasons I like jiu jitsu: anyone, no matter your athletic background, can get good at it.


What is your competition history?

I’ve been competing 12-15 times a year since I got my blue belt in 2006. I’ve lost many, many matches, but also won a few.


What is your proudest Jiu-Jitsu accomplishment?

Placing third in the combined Purple/Brown/Black belt division at the 2009 Abu Dhabi Pro gi trials. I was then invited to compete in the Abu Dhabi Gi World ‘s, but unfortunately I could not go due to several personal reasons.


What are some of your tournament wins?

First Place - IBJJF Pan No Gi Jiu Jitsu Championship, Adult Purple Belt, Leve

Third Place - Adu Dhabi Pro Gi Trials, Adult Brown/Black Belt, -65 kilograms

First Place - Adu Dhabi Pro Gi Trials, Adult Purple Belt, -65 kilograms


What is your training regime like, in preparation for worlds?

I practice Jiu Jitsu two times a day Monday thru Thursday, and once on both Friday and Saturday. In addition, I’ve been doing extra no-gi training after regular classes. I also do Crossfit at Crossfit Sandy Springs 6 days a week.


What is your training regime like when there is not a major tournament on the horizon?

It’s the same. The only difference is that I train Crossfit less often. Usually 3 to 4 times per week. I highly recommend Crossfit to anyone who does jiu jitsu.


What are your overall goals in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

I want to earn a living with jiu jitsu through both competing and teaching. Winning the IBJJF world championships at purple, brown and black belt is essential for me.


Is there anything else you would like to add?

I’d like to thank Jacare and Cobrinha for being excellent teachers and mentors. I highly respect both of them, and I’m thankful for having the opportunity to learn from two of the best jiu jitsu practitioners in the world. I’m also very grateful to all my training partners. Alliance Atlanta is the friendliest and most welcoming academy that I’ve ever been to, and not to mention that there are world champions at every belt color training here. Everyone that I’ve meet here has helped me both on and off the mat. Lastly, I can’t imagine why anyone would come to Atlanta and not train here.

No comments:

Post a Comment